FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. What are escape masks?
Escape masks are self-rescue devices that provide short-term respiratory protection. An escape mask facilitates a safe evacuation in emergencies such as fires, explosions and toxic gas leaks.
2. Are escape masks different from regular gas masks?
Yes. Regular gas masks are used for routine industrial use. They are bulky, heavy, and provide long term protection for the wearer. Escape masks however, provide short-term protection and are compact, lightweight and portable (can be worn on a belt)
3. Can I use a regular gas mask for escape?
Yes, but they are bulky and heavy and are not practical for on the spot protection.
In emergencies minimal response time is critical.
Escape masks are specifically designed to provide on the spot protection.
4. What are the features of Duram emergency escape masks?
The hood is made of Polychloroprene Latex with unique mechanical and thermal properties:
• High tensile strength
• High elasticity (stretches up to 800% of original length) allowing quick fitting and tight neck-sealing resistance to high temperatures
The range of masks comes with three types of filters:
• Electrostatic particle filter
• layers of activated charcoal cloth with impregnation against acidic gases.
CO Filter, comprising two canisters containing:
• electrostatic particle filter
• layers of activated charcoal cloth with impregnation against acidic gases
ABEK 1 Filter, a universally used filter compliant with the EN14387 Standard, able to filter the following in concentrations up to 1000ppm:
• organic gases
• inorganic gases
The mask’s visor is made of ETFE, a co-polymer with several special features:
• high tensile strength
• high transparency
• heat resistance
A patent developed by Duram Mask. A unique system combining two unidirectional valves, an inhalation valve and an exhalation valve connected to a mouthpiece.
Packaging and shelf life
The masked in packed in a sealed vacuum pack that keeps it effective and ready for use for five years. Each package contains clearly illustrated donning instructions.
5. Is there regulation governing smoke escape masks?
Yes. Smoke escape masks are regulated in the European Union, US, Russia and other countries worldwide. There are specific standards for example in the EU (EN 403:2004) and the US (ASTM E2952-14).
6. Does regulation exist for escape masks for chemical incidents?
There are no specific standards for escape masks for chemical incidents.
7. Have Duram’s Mask obtained any certifications?
Yes. They have obtained EN 403:2004, which is certified smoke escape mask.
8. Does Duram Mask have test results from accredited laboratories?
Yes. Accreditation is through the reputable Assay Technology AT Labs.
9. Can I receive these certifications and/or test results?
Yes. Kindly request from our team.
10. What is the shelf life of Duram escape masks?
Shelf-life is five years, when kept in suitable conditions such as a dry shady place and in temperatures ranging from 15°C-40°C.
11. What happens when the shelf life is over?
It is recommended to replace the mask every five years as a longer period may reduce its optimum performance.
12. Do you offer customised solutions?
Yes. Masks can be customised for colour, logos, packaging, filters, and specific requirements.